February 16, 2018
Dear friends & members of the Riverwest Public House,
The last few months have been ones of intense struggle to find a path to financial sustainability. Among our successes have been some great events – some new/ some returning. Along the way, there have been many significant challenges.
A group of 15 concerned members/ members of the events & membership committee have collected enough signatures to petition the board to hold a Special Meeting of the membership. Due to urgency and depth of topics, we feel two meetings are necessary in order to give proper time to items, respect people’s time, and ensure the most members are able to attend at least one. These meetings will be held Sunday Feb. 25 @ 3-6 pm & Monday, Feb. 26 @ 6-9 pm.
These meetings have been called by a group of concerned members and the events committee, due to the lack of communication to the membership about the actual state of the RWPH. It has been called using Section 5 article 2 of the bylaws (see below for bylaw). There has been rumors of the state of the finances, who is on the board or isn’t, and seeming confusion on whether there is a current lease, liquor license or even who is on the board. It is imperative that membership become fully informed on these matters and more in order to make qualified decisions about the bar. The bar is broke and from conversations held today with Tracey Collins (Treasurer) is insolvent. The fact that the financial reality has gotten this far without communication to the membership is a huge issue, and yet at this time the membership needs to ensure ethical decisions are made using cooperative principles from here on out.
The first meeting on Sunday will be to discuss what has brought us to this moment in time and consider our options; the second meeting on Monday will be to discuss next steps. We hope that you can join us for these important sessions on Sunday Feb. 25 @ 3-6 pm & Monday, Feb. 26@ 6-9 pm.
Yours in cooperation,
Riverwest Public House Events/ Membership Committee Member
Section 5. Frequency and Announcements of Meetings.
ii. Special Meetings of the membership may be called by the Board or through a petition to the Board signed by any ten (10) members. The exact time and place of this meeting will be posted inside the principal office and written or electronic notice (member choice) shall be sent to membership at least seven (7) days prior and no more than thirty (30) days prior to said Special Meeting date
We’ve had requests from members who want to pick up their member mugs after we downsized our shelving units. We will have member mugs organized and ready for pick up on four dates in January. Stop by and get your mug on one of these dates and receive a dollar off any tappers poured into it.
Saturday, January 13 and Sunday, January 14: 3-9pm
Tuesday, January 16: 3-9pm
Saturday, January 20: 3-9pm
We debuted the Thump-a-Trump machine (designed by local artist Brian Holoubek) as part of our SAD! 100 Days of Trump art show in spring. Since then, it’s given hundreds of bar patrons a moment of happy therapy. But now, the machine must roll on.
For it’s final day here–Tuesday, December,12— we will be celebrating with a Thump-a-Trump tournament. High scoring winners will receive prizes of drink tickets, art prints, and novelty items.
Admission to the tournament is a minimum donation of $1. All money raised from tournament participants will be donated to Planned Parenthood. Tournament rounds will begin at 7 and we’ll post more details on how it’ll be structured soon.
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/174592089797944/
UPDATE: NEW TIMELINE
After painting our walls, we’ve had bare space at the Public House and we’d like to change that. We are opening up a submission and voting process to select “semi-permanent (we’re not sure how we’re defining that yet, but at least a year)” art to fill three of our wall spaces.
Artists need to take a photo of their work and submit it (along with your name and title of the piece and the category you are entering) to one of the three categories below and send it to us at email@example.com
We are open to all art mediums and subject matter.
We will have submissions open until January 15. After submissions close, the submissions will be posted on our website and members of the Riverwest Public House Cooperative will be able to vote in each category for the art they think will be best for the
bar. Voting is open to members only. The voting process will be open from January 16 at 5pm to January 23 at 5pm. The new art will be revealed at a special event Friday, January 26.
Here are our three categories:
Sound system wall space: Can be 1-3 pieces (by same artist) that covers a space that is minimum 4 feet, maximum 6 feet wide, minimum 3 feet, maximum 4.5 feet tall.
Stage wall near window: Must be 1 piece, minimum 6 feet, maximum 7 feet wide, minimum 3 feet, maximum 4 feet tall.
AC unit wall: Can be 1-4 pieces (by same artist) that covers a space minimum 6 feet, maximum 8’9″ wide, minimum 3 feet, maximum 4 feet tall.
We love to support local artists and look forward to seeing your submissions!
November 20th, 2017
Dear Members and Friends of the Riverwest Public House,
It’s been a busy month and we want to stop to say thank you to all the volunteers, committee members, workers’ and patrons working hard to make it work.
We are thankful for all of you!
Remember that the Friday after Thanksgiving is the busiest bar night of the year so come on out and make the Public House your house.
In the meantime, see below for all the news and SAVE THE DATE:
- 11/25 Craft & Draft – Shop Local Saturday w/ RWPH & Black Husky
- 12/7 Vinyl Potluck
- 12/21 Solstice Party w/ OLB art installation, Denny Rauen’s OLB short-documentary/ talkback & Bootleg Bessie perform.
- CALL FOR BOARD MEMBERS: The WC and Board have continued to assess the organization’s leadership needs and have decided to reopen the call for candidates to step into fill vacant board seats. There are 6 seats open for appointment to fulfill 1, 2 and 3 year terms on the board. The current WC have been asked to consider appointments. Please check out our Board Member Job Description and complete a Board Interest Form. Get in touch with any questions.
- We’re Hiring! We have made an open call to hire a new bartender and have received 3 applications. Interview scheduling are in progress.
- Committee/ WC / Board updates:
- The membership database is being cleaned up and updated
- Stay tuned for the new RWPH website late 2017/ early 2018 complete with events calendar and event interest form!
- Regular Member events including Happy Hour events and Vinyl Potlucks (next is 12/7)
- Financial update: Financial update: We had an excellent September and a profit for the month. Workers’ Collective hosted some great events including the Night Carnival and Oktoberfest, along with the start of Packer season. At this time we are looking for ways to increase sales and decrease expenses.
- Call for volunteers! We will always be looking for interested members to take up leadership positions in the co-op. Are you wanting to meet new people, support the RWPH, learn new skills and/or share your talents? Consider joining a committee! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the meeting invites.
- In addition we have some specific asks of you. Below are a list of jobs/ things that we need help with:
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Community Events Coordinator
- Flyer distribution (beer / admission in exchange for flyer distribution)
- Soundproofing (building crew and hanging party)
- Vinyl night host (rotating 1 host/ month)
- Door people
- Food – for Packer games & Potlucks
- Small tables & chairs that collapse for the area near the stage
- 4 x 3’ corkboard for flyers
If you are able to contribute toward any of these efforts please email email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
On behalf of the Riverwest Public House
We ❤ Immaculate Misconception and have had them on our stage several times. The last chance to see them is this Sunday, November 12, 10pm. They tell us they’re going out with a bang!
Joining them are special guests Union Thugs, the Montreal IWW strike band
and Parking Lot Bandits, awesome Fort Wayne folk punk.
$5 suggested donation because Union Thugs are on tour.
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1487723041313649/
Halloween is over when we say it is! We’ve got a really cool burlesque show here this Friday. A Night of Gorgeously Grotesque Rock n Roll Burlesque features a bunch of talented ladies celebrating the spooky season in a sexy way. We’ll have performances by Katie Kadaver and Gone Rogue Burlesque! Special guests, Haunted Harlots of the Quad Cities and Lavish Jules and Reina Fire of the Brew City Bombshells! Wow weeee! Admission is just 5 bucks.
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/840551402786820/
On Saturday, we have the Sorry Not Sorry comedy showcase. If you’ve not been, it’s a fun and FREE Saturday afternoon activity. Comedians do short sets while you laugh in the harsh light of day. $5 bloody mary special! (we got non-alcoholic drinks like coffee, tea, and soda, too). Addie and Marisa organize this showcase and you can read articles our friends at Milwaukee Record have written about these founding mothers HERE (Addie) and HERE (Marisa).
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/180001102556388/